baseball-christian-scafidi

Junior pitcher Christian Scafidi ended the season with an ERA of 2.62 overall.

Credit: Lily Haber

Eight members of Penn baseball have been honored with selections to All-Ivy teams.

Leading the Quakers are freshman Josh Hood, who was unanimously voted Ivy League Rookie of the Year, and junior Christian Scafidi, who was unanimously selected as Ivy League Pitcher of the Year. 

As starting pitcher, Scafidi ended the season with an ERA of 2.62 overall. In conference play, Scafidi's ERA was 2.16, the lowest in the Ivy League. In total, he pitched 68.2 innings and had 59 strikeouts, the most on the team.

Hood is the third Rookie of the Year from Penn in the past four years. Sophomore Eduardo Malinowski also received the honor in 2018, while senior Matt O’Neill did in 2016.

Notably, Hood finished the season with a .331 batting average and eight home runs, the most on the team. 

Penn leads the Ivy League with four players named to the first team All-Ivy. Along with Hood and Scafidi, O’Neill and junior Peter Matt were selected for the first team. Scafidi and Matt were both voted unanimously to the team.

O'Neill had a remarkable season. His .405 batting average was the highest on the team. In the Ivy League, he boasted a third place ranking in hits with a total of 64. With a .527 on-base percentage, O'Neill was ranked sixth in the nation.

Senior Sean Phalan, junior Chris Adams, and freshman Craig Larsen were all recognized as members of the second-team All-Ivy. Malinowski received an honorable mention.

Throughout his career, Phalan has been one of Penn's most consistent hitters. He has started all four years for the Quakers. This season alone, he had 65 hits in regular season play, and he is in the program records books with the second highest number of hits, a total of 200.

The Quakers finished with a 23-18 record, good for fourth place in the Ivy League.