mbb-vs-cornell-devon-goodman

Junior guard Devon Goodman has been one of Penn's most consistent players this season, and he will need to continue to perform at a high level if the Quakers are to get into the Ivy Tournament.

Credit: Alexa Cotler

If you’re a fan of defensive basketball, then this is the game for you. 

At halftime, Penn is leading Harvard, 26-22, in a game that — as the score might suggest — was bereft of any sort of offensive entertainment.

Both Penn (16-10, 4-6 Ivy) and Harvard (14-9, 7-3) missed each of their first three shots to start the contest, which would be a recurring theme in the half as the two teams never settled into any sort of offensive groove. Immune from the scoring drought, though, was junior forward AJ Brodeur. Following up on his 23-point effort against Cornell last weekend, he scored Penn’s first seven points of the game and finished the half with 11 points on 5-of-9 shooting.

The defense, on the other hand, showed up to the game for both teams. The greatest testament to the Quakers’ defense is that they have completely nullified Harvard junior guard Bryce Aiken, who is averaging 21.8 points per game this season, Aiken dropped 28 against the Quakers in their last meeting, but so far, he is 1-for-7 from the field and has a meagre three points. His only bucket came from a corner three at the 2:56 mark of the half. 

Somewhat surprisingly, Penn coach Steven Donahue, who has been tight with his rotations in Ivy play this season, brought sophomore Mark Jackson into the game midway through the quarter. Averaging just eight minutes per game in the season, the 7-foot-3 center split a pair of free throws, but perhaps more importantly, provided Penn with a defensive presence in the paint that made it tough for the Crimson near the rim.

Neither team has led by more than five, and whichever side gets their shooting touch back first may be the team to come away with the victory.

Check back after the game for a full recap.