nassau-hall-princeton

Photo by Smallbones / CC0

Princeton men’s basketball senior Devin Cannady was suspended from the team following his arrest Friday, according to The Trentonian. The arrest came after an alleged confrontation with a member of Princeton's campus police.

“Due to a violation of team rules, Devin Cannady, (sic) has been suspended from the men's basketball team, pending further review," a Princeton spokesperson told The Trentonian.

At around 3:30 a.m. at a Wawa adjacent to Princeton's campus, Cannady allegedly swung at a campus police officer, according to a statement from the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office.

Cannady leads the Tigers in scoring, averaging 19.5 points through 12 games this season, including a combined 32 from the team’s pair of wins over Penn this past winter break. In both matchups, Cannady spent every minute of game time on the court as a focal point of the Princeton game plan.

The Tigers lead the Ivy League with a 2-0 record, but won't play another conference game until February. It remains unclear how long Cannady's suspension from the team will last, but a prolonged absence would almost certainly hurt Princeton's chances of making it to the Ivy League Tournament. 

Ivy play is only just underway, but the League seems to be as wide open as it's ever been.