mbb-wang

Freshman forward Michael Wang led the Quakers in scoring in both games this week, recording 41 points in only 42 minutes of play.

Credit: Son Nguyen

He might not be in the starting lineup just yet, but freshman forward Michael Wang is already making a significant impact for Penn men’s basketball. 

Despite only playing for a total of 42 minutes in two games this week, Wang was a force on offense, leading the Quakers in scoring in both contests. His stellar performances helped the Red and Blue collect two big victories, including against Miami (Fla.) on Tuesday night, the team’s first win over an Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) opponent since 2001.

In that game, Wang went off from behind the arc, coming off the bench to shoot 5 of 6 from three-point range and provide the Quakers with an offensive spark. The freshman ended up scoring 23 points and collecting four rebounds in 27 minutes in Penn’s 89-75 victory. 

The Taiyuan, China native also starred in the Red and Blue’s first Big 5 game of the season against La Salle on Saturday. The forward was only on the court for 15 minutes, but that didn’t prevent him from influencing the outcome. Wang recorded 18 points and three assists, helping the Quakers cruise to a comfortable 83-65 win.

Credit: Son Nguyen and Tamara Wurman

Ultimately, Wang’s shooting prowess was what made him truly stand out for the Red and Blue. He shot 76.2 percent overall and 70 percent from behind the three-point line this week, allowing the Quakers to take advantage of their offensive opportunities. 

Penn has another significant challenge upcoming, as the team will look to defeat Villanova on Tuesday for the first time in 16 years. If the Red and Blue want to claim victory in that game, they will likely need this week’s DP Sports Player of the Week to step up once again.