philadelphia-international-airport
Philadelphia International Airport (Piotrus | CC BY-SA 3.0)

Despite renovations to the Philadelphia airport (PHL), it continues to lag behind its counterparts in customer satisfaction, according to a recently released survey.

In 2017, over $900 million in renovations to the airport were approved, with improvements including a revamped transportation system between terminals, a new air traffic control tower, and advanced screening, Philadelphia Magazine reported. These improvements have slowly been implemented, but the bulk of the renovations are to be completed in the next four to six years. 

However, many customers aren't happy with their airport experience — J.D. Power ranked PHL 23rd out of 25 large airport based on customer satisfaction. Reviews of the airport are mixed; some are happy with the addition of outlets and iPads, while others continue to lament slow WiFi and long travel times within the airport, according to Delaware Online

Given that 15.9 percent of the Class of 2021 resides outside of the United States and 84.8 percent live outside of Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia airport is a major hub for students. Many take advantage of airport shuttles offered by the Undergraduate Assembly for transportation to PHL for holiday breaks.  

Despite its negative reputation among passengers, the airport has attempted to spice up its image in the past with help from a Penn alumnus.

PHL is home to an 85,000 square foot mural by 2002 College graduate Jacques-Jean Tiziou, which is found on the side of the parking garage and displays several dancing figures. The work is focused on “energy and movement,” the artist told The Daily Pennsylvanian in a 2010 interview.

Recently, the airport gained political relevance when Penn students participated in a January 2017 protest at the airport to contest an executive order by President Donald Trump which limited immigration from Muslim-majority countries.