beefsteak-2
File Photo

The official reopening of Houston Market brought several new dining options, while retaining old favorites like the sushi bar. But there was one conspicuous vendor that did not make the cut: salad shop Beefsteak.

The shop is permanently closed, Director of Communications and External Relations in the Division of Business Services Barbara Lea-Kruger said. The space that Beefsteak once occupied in Houston Market is currently walled off.

Director of Communications of Bon Appétit Management Company Bonnie Powell said Beefsteak's former location will become a space for the catering team from Bon Appétit, which has been Penn's food service provider since 2009. This team previously used a temporary space that has since been removed during the Houston renovations.

"We had to make some difficult decisions with you all about the best way to use what we have, given our current business needs," Powell said in an emailed statement to The Daily Pennsylvanian. "I can tell you that we are actively exploring other options with José Andrés' team, but there are no details to share yet."

José Andrés is a world renowned chef who started the Beefsteak chain in Washington D.C. in 2015, according to QSR Magazine. The location on Penn's campus opened in June 2016,  and was listed at the time as one of Philadelphia Zagat’s “11 Most Anticipated Restaurants for Spring." It was among the first six Beefsteak locations, and the first outside of the Washington D.C. area.

Some students said they were surprised and disappointed to learn on Tuesday that Beefsteak was permanently closed.

"I had no idea that Beefsteak was closing and Beefsteak was one of my favorite restaurants in Houston Hall," College junior Rebecca Suh said. “I was just really upset and shocked because I thought Beefsteak was always really popular. Every time I went there, there was always a super long line."

Students also said they regret losing a spot where they could create healthier options that cater to students who follow vegetarian and vegan diets

"For vegetarians, this was kind of a hot spot. I know a lot of my vegetarian friends used to go there," College junior Alina Peng said. "This was the one restaurant that provided that [healthy] option."

With Beefsteak gone, only one of Houston Market's eight vendors — the salad stall Ivy leaf — caters specifically to vegetarian and vegan diets. 

The decision to launch the renovation project on Houston, which had not been modified for 20 years, occurred three years ago, said director of Business Services and Hospitality Services Pam Lampitt. 

Funding for this latest $15.5 million endeavor came from Penn's capital plan for housing and dining renewal, Lea-Kruger said. Other recent renovation efforts on Penn's dining halls include a $6 million renovation of the 1920 Commons basement in 2012 and the $80 million renovation of Hill College House and its dining hall in 2016.