pennlaw
Credit: Ethan Wu

Students applying to Penn Law will now be able to take the Graduate Record Examination and Graduate Management Admission Test in addition to the LSAT, according to a Penn Law press release

In an emailed statement, Penn Law announced the launch of a pilot program that aimed to strengthen the school’s “cross-disciplinary curriculum” by accepting two examinations that are mainly taken by business students.

The GRE examination is traditionally used for graduate and business school applications and measures analytical writing, verbal reasoning, and quantitative reasoning.

According to the GRE’s website, those who take the exam are “interested in pursuing a master's, MBA, specialized master's in business or doctoral degree.”

The other main examination that Penn Law is now accepting is the GMAT, which is another test prospective business students have an option to take.

Statistics cited on the GMAT’s website state that “almost 9 out of 10 new MBA enrollments were made using a GMAT score,” using data from the Top 50 US full-time MBA programs.

From July 2013 to June 2014, over 572,000 students took the GRE, compared with 243,529 GMAT examinations taken in 2014.

In the statement, Penn Law Dean Ted Ruger said the pilot program would streamline the application process for students interested in Penn’s joint degree programs.

“This new initiative allows applicants who plan to take the GMAT or GRE, particularly those interested in our joint degree programs such as our many partnerships with Wharton, including the Francis J. and Wm. Polk Carey JD/MBA program, or our Law and Technology joint degrees with Penn Engineering, to support their application to Penn Law with a single test,” said Ruger.