ErinBarryPlayerOfWeek1
Credit: Mira Shetty

Penn women’s lacrosse had many shining stars this weekend in its 19-4 win over Ivy League rivals Columbia. But none shined brighter than sophomore midfielder Erin Barry, this week's DP Sports Player of the Week.

A perfect mirror of the Red and Blue’s utter dominance on the field on Saturday, Barry led all scorers with a season-best five goals and one assist for a total of six points on the day. Three of her goals came in the first half and two came in the second, where Penn put up 11 goals and held the Lions scoreless.

The sophomore had goals five through seven for the Quakers and they came when the team needed it most, in the middle of strong play by Columbia. Her third goal ended a run and kickstarted a 13-0 run Penn used to cruise until the end of the game.

Nationally awarded in high school, the Manhasset, N.Y. native has been an influential force since her arrival at Penn. Barry was the only freshman to start in all of last year's games and earned all-league awards in her first few weeks of college play.

Her 24 goals last season were good enough for fifth on the team, but she already eclipsed that mark this season, scoring 33 goals from 12 games. Of players who have attempted more than three shots on goal, Barry has the highest accuracy, successfully converting just over half of her 65 attempts.

Barry's success is only more impressive considering she has two seasons left with the Quakers. Based on her performances so far, Penn fans have reason to be excited to see her in years to come.