DPPOW_Junkin

Junior goalie Reed Junkin bailed the Quakers out against Princeton this weekend, making a career-high 20 saves while letting in just seven goals.

Credit: Nicole Fridling

Reed Junkin is simply on fire. 

A week after recording 13 saves in a loss to Villanova and two weeks after allowing only three goals against Navy, Penn men’s lacrosse’s junior goalie made a career-high 20 stops in a 14-7 win over Princeton. 

Credit: Christine Lam and Nicole Fridling

For stretches of Penn’s dominant performance, Junkin appeared as if he couldn’t be beaten, stopping multiple shots from point blank range and stifling nearly every outside attempt he faced. 

As the game’s score would indicate, the Quakers played particularly well against their arch rivals, but in their one obvious area of weakness, Junkin came to the rescue time and time again. 

Throughout the game, Penn provided its opponent with multiple opportunities to score by consistently committing penalties. The Quakers’ 13 separate infractions led to 10 extra-man opportunities for Princeton, but, thanks to Junkin, the Tigers were largely unable to capitalize, especially when the game was still within reach. 

Whether the Tigers shot high, low, stickside, offside, or bouncers, Junkin was up to the task, seeing the lacrosse ball as if it were a beach ball.  

With Junkin operating at this level, the Quakers will be difficult for the rest of the Ivy League to contend with. His dominance not only shut down the opposing offense, but his saves also led to quick outlets and transition opportunities for Penn’s attack. With Connor Keating at long stick midfield and an array of shooters on the Quakers’ roster, transition can become a real weapon for the Red and Blue as the season progress, and it all starts with Junkin. 

For his efforts against the Tigers, Junkin has earned DP Sports Player of the Week, but if he continues to play at his recent advanced level, greater accolades, for him individually and for his team, may await.