alexaHoover

Alexa Hoover scored both of Penn's goals against Villanova.

Credit: Ananya Chandra

In what's been a tough start for Penn field hockey, one of the bright spots has been senior Alexa Hoover. After a two-goal performance in a 2-0 defeat of Villanova for its first win of the season, Hoover has more than earned this week's edition DP Sports’ Player of the Week.

After dropping close games against strong opponents — including Delaware and UNC, last year's NCAA champs and runners-up, respectively — Penn (1-3) needed to come out of the weekend with a win. 

Credit: Julia Schorr

Unsurprisingly, it was the Quakers' star and leader who provided the offensive spark. Hoover's first goal came off a deflected shot from sophomore Alexa Schneck. Her second goal came after she intercepted a pass from Villanova’s defense in the 57th minute. Hoover also paced the Quakers with seven total shots, with four of them on goal. 

On Friday, Hoover also provided Penn’s only goal in a 2-1 defeat against Delaware. In a valiant effort despite defeat, Hoover pounded Delaware with five shots. 

Hoover has three of Penn's four total goals this season. Moreover, the lone goal that did not come off her stick came off one of her shot attempts against North Carolina, which fellow senior Rachel Huang then deflected in. Hopefully for Penn, Hoover can get more support on the offensive end. 

For now, though, her elite performances have been enough to carry her team through the first part of its season — and in the process, stand above everyone else in Penn Athletics.