palestra

On Sunday, October 1, the Palestra will host the Philadelphia 76ers' Blue x White Scrimmage, which will be fans' first opportunity to see the 2017-2018 team.

Credit: Zach Sheldon

The Process is coming to Penn.

On Thursday, the Philadelphia 76ers announced that the Palestra would be host to the team’s Blue x White Scrimmage on Sunday, October 1 from 1:00-3:30 p.m. 

The scrimmage, which is free and open to the general public, will be fans’ first opportunity of the year to see the 2017-2018 76ers team. 

“The Blue x White Scrimmage presents an opportunity for us to connect with our fans in a unique and personal manner,” 76ers head coach Brett Brown said in the team’s press release. “I’m looking forward to introducing this year’s team at the iconic Palestra on the University of Pennsylvania’s campus. The building strongly represents the toughness and perseverance of the city of Philadelphia and of the 76ers organization.”

As two of the premier basketball institutions in Philadelphia, this will not be the first time that Sixers and the Palestra unite. The team has held other open practices at the stadium in the past, and in 2011, Wharton class of 1986 grad Josh Harris officially announced his purchase of the team in a press conference at the Palestra.

While the Sixers have suffered losing records for the last five seasons, the team’s busy offseason has given many cause to be optimistic, including Harris.

“We have conviction that our strategy is right,” Harris told The DP in June.

Fans seeking to attend the scrimmage will be able to acquire tickets through the 76ers’ social media platforms starting on Tuesday, September 26. Early access to the tickets will also be available through Club 76, the team’s membership and season-ticket waiting list.