colbysawyer

Liberal arts colleges like Colby-Sawyer are cutting programs in order to save money.

Colby-Sawyer College in New Hampshire challenged expectations of liberal arts colleges by cutting the English and philosophy major programs.

According to the Boston Globe, the small private college will fire 18 people and cut the hours of 12 more. It also will not replace another 19 workers, who are leaving. In addition to English and philosophy, the school scrapped majors in accounting, health promotion, and healthcare management.

The college has reported losses exceeding $2 million for the past two years and projects a loss of $2.6 million this year.

There are currently 18 English majors and no philosophy majors out of the approximate 1,100 students attending Colby-Sawyer College. Over the past four years, enrollment has decreased from 1,500 students to the current 1,100.

The college plans to put more focus on their most successful programs — nursing, business  and sports management. President of Colby-Sawyer College, Sue Stuebner, said she plans to market these programs aggressively to generate interest among prospective applicants.

Liberal arts colleges such as Colby-Sawyer have been under pressure since the 2008 recession left the middle class struggling. Some are restructuring their focuses like Colby-Sawyer, others are merging  and some, like Marion Court College in Swampscott, are even closing.

These schools face the challenge of managing dwindling funds while also maintaining up-to-date facilities, amenities  and faculty members. Although financial restrictions forced Colby-Sawyer to cut majors and fire faculty and staff, the president still supports a $7.4 million project to build a new performing arts center.