tarkamegan

Tarka Restaurant and Bobby's Burger Palace have recently been slapped with health violations.

Credit: Megan Jones , Megan Jones

From mouse droppings to moldy onions, Tarka Restaurant at 3801 Chestnut Street received a dozen health violations this November.

The restaurant, which serves Pakistani, Indo-Chinese and Japanese food, was among ten establishments instructed by the Philadelphia Department of Health to “discontinue food operations immediately” due to “imminent health hazards.” After sanctioned closures on Nov. 7 and Nov. 10, the restaurant was allowed to re-open on Nov. 16.

From Nov. 9-21, the DOH inspected nearly 500 restaurants, delis and other eateries, Philly.com reported. After three inspections of Tarka, the DOH registered 12 health violations at the establishment.

Speaking over the phone with The Daily Pennsylvanian, Tarka’s manager Sultan Bhuiyan said, “We have done a lot. These are not big violations, we have covered everything.”

However, a DOH food facility inspection report dated Nov. 16 categorized seven of these violations as serious. They include visible evidence of rodent and insect activity in the kitchen area and raw chicken which was kept above the required temperature. Five of eight reviews of the restaurant on Google include complaints about the cleanliness of the food.

“We’ve changed a lot of stuff,” Tarka’s manager Bhuiyan said to Philly.com. “We have a new floor, new carpet, we hired new people and had a big cleaning. Everything is new. We are trying to change.”

Speaking with The DP, Bhuiyan denied giving these comments to Philly.com or any publication.

Another restaurant in University City that was investigated by the DOH this November is Bobby’s Burger Palace at 3925 Walnut Street. The DOH report on the establishment cited four health violations and required representatives from the restaurant to attend a hearing at the Court of Common Pleas on Nov. 22. The staff at Bobby's Burger Palace declined to comment for this article.