trumppresidentelect21
Credit: Julio Sosa

While much of campus watched Donald Trump's Election Day victory with shock and concern, the news put a group nearby in a celebratory mood.

Footage taken at Smokey Joe's and posted on Facebook shortly after 2 a.m. Wednesday morning shows patrons chanting "Build the wall" while watching the election results on television.  By this time, Trump had emerged as the likely winner, although his Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton did not officially concede the race until later that morning.

The chant began with one person but quickly gained momentum as others at the bar, including several Penn students, joined in, according to Engineering senior Mauricio Diaz Padilla, who posted the video.

"Build the wall" chants continued as more states' votes were called for Trump, he said.

"It was disappointing to see Penn students, who are supposed to be educated, stoop to such a low standard and resort to blatantly racist chants that disparages not only Mexicans or Latinos, but all minorities and oppressed populations," Diaz Padilla said

Trump's promise to build a wall on the United States-Mexico border was a central element of his campaign's immigration reform plan and was widely touted at Trump rallies throughout the 2016 election cycle.  His campaign, which has caused widespread alarm across the country, was described by many as an "upset" victory.

The bouncer on duty at the time could not be immediately reached for comment.