tresolomon

Junior running back Tre Solomon was one of the brightest spots for Penn football in Saturday's loss to Fordham, leading the team in rushing and receiving yards.

Credit: Griff Fitzsimmons

The Good

After ending the first half with a sizable deficit, the Quakers gained momentum with a powerful performance by Tre Solomon.

The junior running back from Brooklyn racked up 93 rushing yards in 15 carries and one touchdown on his longest rush (22 yards) of the game.

In addition, his 53 receiving yards and eight receptions included one throwback pass play to senior quarterback Alek Torgersen that, though only gaining six yards and resulting in a turnover on downs, was an impressive display of chemistry between the two upperclassmen.

The Meh

The Penn defense came through on a number of key plays. In addition to defensive back Ephraim Lee bringing down Fordham quarterback Kevin Anderson for the Quakers’ first sack of the season, the defense kept Penn in the game with a multiple goal-line stands and one clutch interception by sophomore Mason Williams in the play immediately following a Penn turnover. Jyron Walker even got his hand in the way of a Fordham field goal, though he was promptly called offside by the officials.

Ultimately, Fordham was able to maintain a versatile package that could adapt on the fly and found all the openings they needed to maintain a comfortable lead.

The Ugly

Penn dug itself into a hole during the first two quarters that proved too deep to climb out of, due in large part to a series of turnovers in which Fordham chalked up one interception and two fumble recoveries, all from the hands of Torgersen.

Penn put together a few well-executed, run-heavy drives throughout the game, but were left without the redemption they had sought on their journey to New York.