52710_simmonso
Courtesy of The University of Pennsylvania

Distinguished political scientist Beth Simmons has been appointed the 18th Penn Integrates Knowledge professor, the University announced Tuesday.

According to the Penn News press release, Simmons is "a world-renowned authority on international relations and human rights." President Amy Gutmann lauded her as "a universally admired teacher and mentor" who was recruited by a "consummately collaborative, interdisciplinary team that spans multiple disciplines" to Penn.

Simmons will be come to Philadelphia from Harvard University, where she was the Clarence Dillon Professor of International Affairs and previously the Director of of the Weatherhead Center for International Affairs.

At Penn, Simmons will be the Andrea Mitchell University Professor and teach jointly at Penn Law and the School of Arts and Sciences Political Science department. 

Her arrival complements the recent completion and anticipated fall opening of the Perry World House, a designated hub for international dialogue and global affairs.

Simmons' appointment is a part of the Penn Integrates Knowledge (PIK) program, an initiative started by Gutmann in 2005 to recruit professors of multidisciplinary scholarship to the University.