antoniowoods

Sophomore guard Antonio Woods has been declared ineligible for the remainder of the 2015-16 season "due to insufficient academic progress under University policy," according to a release by Penn Athletics on Saturday.

Credit: Thomas Munson , Thomas Munson

Penn basketball guard Antonio Woods has been declared ineligible for the remainder of the season. According to a release from Penn Athletics Saturday morning, Woods is ineligible for the remainder of the 2015-16 season “due to insufficient academic progress under University policy.”

As a result, the sophomore did not play in Saturday evening’s game against Princeton and cannot re-enroll at Penn until spring 2017. Following the game, coach Steve Donahue said in a press conference that he found out Woods was ineligible on Friday night.

Woods, a five-time Ivy League Rookie of the Week in 2014-15, had started all 13 of the Quakers’ games this season, leading the team with 30 minutes a game and 3.3 assists per contest while averaging 10.7 points. Heading into the year, the Cincinnati native was expected to make up for a large portion of the loss of former senior guard Tony Hicks following the latter’s decision to sit out the 2015-16 season and later transfer to Louisville.

More to follow.