20151112gun_control_speakerjulio08

Penn Against Gun Violence brought Dr. Susan B. Sorenson of the School of Social Policy to give a lecture on gun violence this past Thursday. 

Credit: Julio Sosa

Given the mass shootings of recent years, the threat to a Philadelphia university a month ago and heightened tensions on college campuses this week, there has been a heightened conversation surrounding gun violence. 

On Thursday night, the student group Penn Against Gun Violence, which formed five weeks ago, held a talk with Susan B. Sorenson, who is a professor of social policy and of health and societies.

Sorenson discussed how gun use, despite public belief, is not just associated with homicide. 

“For every one homicide with a gun, there are two suicides,” Sorenson said. She added that the risk was uneven. “People of color and men are the most common victims of gun violence,” she said.

Students commented on the uniqueness of the conversation. 

“The message the group has is something I haven’t seen on campus,” College junior Gabriel Maliha said.

Penn Against Gun Violence will continue its advocacy efforts through petition signing and by lobbying in the spring at Harrisburg, Pa. On Dec. 10, the group will host CeaseFire PA for an educational workshop.

“We have two-part platform: awareness and advocacy,” said College freshman and Penn Against Gun Violence president Natalie Breuel.