img_3681

Freshman Christian Pearson has had a strong start to his Penn career.

Credit: Ilana Wurman , Ilana Wurman, Ilana Wurman

What a time to be a rookie.

Two Penn freshmen — football’s Christian Pearson and women’s soccer’s Sasha Stephens — were named the Ivy League’s Rookie of the Week in their respective sports on Monday. For both players, it was their second such accolade of the season.

Stephens was actually the co-Rookie of the Week, splitting the nod with Princeton’s Mimi Esom. The California native dominated last Tuesday’s 5-0 win over American, tallying two goals and an assist. Stephens now has four goals and 10 points on the season, both team highs.

Pearson also impressed during a blowout victory over Columbia, nabbing 10 catches for 126 yards. 25 of those came on a touchdown catch in the second quarter that put the Quakers up 14-7, a lead they would never relinquish.

“I’m just trying to catch the ball and make big plays, that’s all I’m trying to do,” the soft-spoken Pearson said following the 42-7 victory.

“Christian’s had a great start to his young career,” coach Ray Priore added. “That smile never comes off his face.”

Both Pearson and Stevens previously achieved the distinction during the first week of the season. The former earned the honor when he snagged a 45-yard TD in a loss to Lehigh, while Stevens scored twice in Penn’s season opener versus Seton Hall.

Both players will be back in action this week versus Yale, as Pearson and the gridiron gang will take the field on Friday night while women's soccer will look for its first conference win of the season at 5 p.m. on Saturday afternoon.