elizabethhitti

Now a senior captain for Penn field hockey, attacker Elizabeth Hitti — who finished in the top 10 in the Ivy League in both goals and assists last year — remains one of the Quakers' respected veteran leaders.

Credit: Thomas Munson

Ready for more?

Penn field hockey will be back in action for its second weekend of play when the Red and Blue take on intracity opponents St. Joseph’s and Temple on Friday and Sunday.

Friday’s contest against the Hawks will be the Quakers’ home opener. Penn last played St. Joseph’s in 2013, winning 5-2 behind a hat trick from then-freshman Jasmine Cole. Cole, who led the team with 18 goals that year, transferred to Rutgers following the season.

Two days later, the Quakers will make the short trip to Temple to take on the Owls in a 1 P.M. matinee. The Quakers have not faced Temple since 2010, when the Red and Blue fell 4-1.

Penn started off its season last weekend, splitting road contests versus Liberty and Longwood. The Quakers kicked off the two-game, three-day roadtrip with a tough 4-3 loss to the Flames before rebounding with an emphatic 5-2 dismissal of Longwood.

St. Joseph’s has split its first four games evenly, beating Towson and Drexel and losing to Temple and Maryland. The Hawks, who went 9-9 a season ago, have been hurt by the graduation of Nazareth, PA native Jordan Martin, who led the team with 23 points —and nine goals — in

Temple sports the same 2-2 record, with its wins coming over the Hawks and Towson. The defeats, which came against Maryland and Penn State, were somewhat impressive in their own right; both programs are ranked in the nation’s top 10 and both losses came by only two goals.

The Owls will be led by seniors Alyssa Delp and Sarah Deck. The two Pennsylvania natives are tied for the team lead with three goals apiece.

This will be the second-to-last weekend of non-conference play for the Quakers. The Red and Blue will face off with Villanova and Sacred Heart in the next week before diving into Ivy League play with their conference opener versus Cornell on Sept. 25.

Quaker fans who are unable to make it to Ellen Vagelos field for Friday’s contest will be in luck: The 4 P.M. matchup with the Hawks will be broadcast online on ESPN3, free of charge.

The Quakers, in contrast to the complimentary broadcast, realize that nothing on the field comes free; every win must be earned.

And they will have a chance to pay their dues this weekend.