In Barnard's annual campus climate survey, 20 percent of respondents said they experienced sexual assault in some form.

According to the Columbia Daily Spectator, this was the first time that the results of the climate survey had been released to the entire community. The survey is administered to help determine student's awareness of campus resources while also looking into incidents of harassment and discrimination.

The survey had 892 total students respond, or 34 percent of Barnard's undergraduate population. 93 percent of students reported that they were aware of Primary Care Health Services while 89 percent were aware of Barnard's Furman Counseling Center. However, only 53 percent were aware of the Rape Crisis/Anti-Violence Support Center.

When asked “If someone you know disclosed to you that they have recently been sexually assaulted do you feel prepared (sufficiently aware of resources) to provide a supportive response," only 36 percent of students "indicated they have some information and feel they could be supportive and help locate information and resources." Just seven percent of respondents said they did not feel prepared while others gave varying levels of preparedness. 

The full survey is here and the Columbia Spectator article is here.