cakepop
SONY DSC

Like many other desserts, cake gains popularity when made bite-sized . Enter cake pops, one of America’s many culinary obsessions. They’ve risen in prominence to the point where the first ever Cake Pop Convention will be held Nov. 7-9 at the Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown.

“It’s the country’s first ever national cake pop conference,” Cake Pop Con organizer Kim Celano said. “A lot of industries have conferences for people to get together and network with one another and learn from experts, so this is something that I created for the cake pop community to have that same kind of structure and educational resources.”

The popularity of cake pops seems to be international, as roughly 180 bakers are flying in from 26 states and 9 different countries to attend Cake Pop Con.

To some convention attendees, cake pops seem to be more than a passing fad. “I don’t think cake pops are just a trendy dessert anymore... they’re so versatile,” said Melanie Pomerico, owner of the New Jersey based Lil’ Cutie Pops . The appeal of cake pops seem to be their customizability as compared to cupcakes, and the conference is further proof that the industry is gaining ground.

But in the end, networking and community aside, Cake Pop Con is meant to “make a lot of memories, make a lot of friends, and just to learn,” Celano said.

Attendees hope that they will learn more about the craft and meet others in the cake pop community. The goal of Cake Pop Con is for attendees to meet other cake pop bakers and industry experts, network with them, learn more about the craft and “ultimately, take that information and have successful baking experiences of their own,” Celano said. “It was really my goal to provide structure to the community.”

Although bakeries dedicated to cake pops are few and far between here in West Philly, Cake Pop Con will highlight this popular treat in the heart of Center City.