During the Undergraduate Assembly meeting on Sunday, the UA spent over 30 minutes debating how to improve mental health on campus.

UA representative and College sophomore Eric Tepper suggested creating a system where incoming students would be assigned a liaison from Counseling and Psychological Services. The idea was met with broad support.

“This is the best idea that this UA has had yet,” College sophomore Kat McKay , another representative, said.

Other suggestions included having all freshmen schedule an appointment with CAPS and having CAPS host an open house.

Sexual assault bystander intervention

Also on the agenda was a discussion about possible sexual assault interventions and training for these interventions.

UA representatives Travis Shingledecker and Jane Meyer , a College sophomore and junior, respectively, have been doing research about the programs at other colleges, such as Dartmouth College, and have spoken with groups such as Abuse and Sexual Assault Prevention, One in Four and the class boards.

Shingledecker said the goal of the intervention trainings would be to teach students to be “both proactive and reactive” in preventing sexual assault.

Meyer and Shingledecker plan to put together a presentation for other student groups to use. They are in the planning stages, and do not have a definite timeline yet.

Credit standardization

Almost half of the enrolled students in “Mind-Body Medicine and Mindfulness Meditation,” a class offered by the Perelman School of Medicine, are undergraduates. But last semester, several days before the end of the add period, the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Engineering and Applied Science both decided not to award credit for the class.

By the time the schools made the decision, students had already met with the professor and obtained a permit to take the class. Because of the late timing of the decision and the fact that Wharton and Nursing students were still able to receive credit for the class, Tepper said, many students expressed their dissatisfaction and the issue was brought up at the Oct. 1 University Council meeting. Penn President Amy Gutmann said the late timing was “not acceptable and problematic” at the Council meeting.

College junior Annie Liu , a student personally affected by the situation, will meet with Vice Provost for Education Andrew Binns . Tepper said he expects “positive updates” about the project.

Water bottle refilling stations

UA representative and Engineering sophomore Alexander George is working with Penn Environmental Group to install sustainable water bottle refilling stations.

The UA is helping the group connect with the administration to work on the project.

UA Representative and Engineering junior Jacob Henner mentioned that if these stations are installed, maintenance should be a priority. Some of the current water bottle refilling stations have outdated filters, he said.

The meeting Sunday was also the first time that 10 associate members of the UA joined the body.