O u r country is a mess, and Penn students know it. The government is dysfunctional on nearly every level. Domestically, we have not dealt with pressing issues like social immobility, increasing poverty and aging social safety nets. Abroad, we are widely perceived as weak, ineffective and as an aging geopolitical placeholder waiting to be swept away by an ascendant Asia. What a time to become involved in Penn politics.

Why become involved? Penn organizations have no actual “power,” OCR’s a witch and you have three major essays due tomorrow. But what we do today matters. We will be tomorrow’s leaders. If we are content to not pay attention now, we will be content to let others lead in 20 years. If we lazily allow politics by buzzword here, we will bring that same intellectual laziness to Washington once we become the decision makers.

Even if you are convinced that you should be involved in Penn politics, which organization should you join? If you are an ideological conservative or liberal, the choice is clear. But if you’re like most people on Penn’s campus, it’s not so easy. If you’re socially liberal but believe in fiscal responsibility, where do you fit in? On some level, we can’t say. We would love to say that everyone on campus is a perfect fit for the College Republicans, which would be classified as moderate by any political standard. Unfortunately, that choice is up to you.

What we can say is that for which our organization stands. We are not an old boys’ club financed by old Southern trust funds. We are thoughtful people looking for practical solutions to our country’s problems.

Penn College Republicans is at its core a solutions-based organization. One example of this is our stance on immigration policy. Washington has argued for decades over immigration reform.

The College Republicans take a practical view. The government cannot deport every undocumented worker, so the U.S. ultimately has no choice but to provide some pathway to permanent legalization — whether that is citizenship or permanent residency. While this isn’t an immigration policy paper, it is no small point.

The College Republicans aren’t afraid to break with the Republican Party. Whether it’s marriage equality, marijuana laws or immigration, our organization has views in line with this campus, not with Washington.

This same practicality is missing from much of the political conversation on campus, including the conflict in Israel. We can argue about the specific policy actions taken by Israel and other relevant groups. However, one thing should be clear: There is no moral equivalency between a terrorist organization and a sovereign state defending itself. Too many groups on campus were willing either to condemn Israel because of actions taken to defend its citizens or to tacitly undercut Israel by supporting ineffective American policy. That Israel built the Iron Dome sometime during the past six years does not mean our foreign policy has been adequate or effective. Having a thoughtful political conversation means hearing from more than one perspective.

All in all, our political stance is complex, compelling and, most importantly, critical to the continued success of this phenomenal country.

This fall, College Republicans will be involved in campaigns at all levels of government.

Last semester we hosted an array of major speakers, including former Pennsylvania Governor Mark Schweiker, Reagan National Security Council advisor William Flynn Martin and former Senator Jeff Chiesa. This semester we have plans to bring in former Philadelphia Eagles Pro Bowler and sitting Congressman John Runyan, in addition to many others. Besides speakers, we will have social events and other great opportunities to meet and connect with Penn’s politically-minded. For more information, check out our website at www.upenn.gop .

We are an active group that is passionate about the future of our country. At some level, an article in the DP is not going to sell you on our organization because one article does not necessarily equal a vibrant community. That being said, if you have doubts about our country’s direction, give us a shot. We have events all the time and are always welcoming people who want to be involved.

Penn College Republicans strives to promote conservative ideals at Penn and foster a community for conservative students. They can be reached at penncollegerepublicans@gmail.com.