08152013_wawareopening12
Wawa gets redesigned and reopens Credit: Luke Chen , Luke Chen

The Spruce St. Wawa expanded its sandwich-making capabilities just in time for the school year.

After a renovation process of over two months, the store at 38th and Spruce streets showcased its new design in a grand opening ceremony at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. Along with a bigger area for sandwich prep, the highlights include an expanded coffee area, new espresso-based items and more cold boxes to store drinks.

The company expects the expanded coffee area to be an extra draw for Penn students — this particular store sells about 900 cups of coffee every day.

PHOTOS: Spruce Street Wawa grand opening

“The lighting, shelving and the whole floor plan is different,” said Public Relations Coordinator Colleen Labik. “We’re just looking to take that step of simplifying our customers’ lives a little bit further.”

Director of Store Operations Ron Christensen said the renovation gave the store “world-class convenience.”

Those visiting the remodeled store for the first time enjoyed the new design. One customer said the renovation helped make Wawa “more modern and inviting.”

RELATED: Wawa to open August 15

Penn’s Wawa is one of several around the city the company is in the process of remodeling. The summer months with less traffic from students presented the perfect opportunity to shut down for a few weeks.

During the ceremony — attended by Director of Facilities and Real Estate Services Ed Datz — Wawa presented a check for $5,000 to the Penn Vet Working Dog Center.