12092012_drexelstudenthit006
breaking news drexel student hit corssing against light just befiore 2 am 112/09/2012 at 36th and chesnut Credit: Amanda Suarez , Amanda Suarez

A 22-year-old male Drexel University student was hit by a car at the corner of 36th and Chestnut streets just before 2 a.m.

The student was transferred “in critical condition and continues to be treated at [the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania],” Drexel University said in an official statement on Dec. 10.

The student was crossing the street against the light when he was hit by the car, according to a Penn Police sergeant at the scene.

The car was a dark gray Dodge Charger headed east on Chestnut Street. The driver was a male unaffiliated with the University, according to the Division of Public Safety.

College sophomore Christina Romero witnessed the accident from her third floor apartment in Sansom Place East, which faces Chestnut Street.

“There was a thud,” she said. “And there was just a guy laying in the crosswalk … He wasn’t really moving.”

She added that Penn’s Medical Emergency Response Team and police arrived on the scene, followed shortly by an ambulance.

Nursing sophomore Jessica McCurry saw the accident from the same apartment.

“When they went to put him on the stretcher, his arm was just kind of flopped to the side,” she said. “The hood of the car was pretty significantly dented.”

Opinion Editor-elect Steven Jaffe and and Copy Editor-elect Jennifer Yu contributed reporting.