As The Daily Pennsylvanian reported, pro-Israel and pro-Palestine student groups mobilized on campus Friday in response to heightened tensions around the Gaza Strip.

Both coalitions should be recognized and commended for responding to the horrible conditions in ways that were civil, respectful and purposeful. From Penn for Palestine’s silent demonstration to Hillel’s information table outside Huntsman Hall, student groups’ controlled, yet impactful, reactions to last week’s contentious developments in Gaza deserves praise.

This orderly reaction is a big step towards furthering the relationship between pro-Israelis and pro-Palestinians on Penn’s campus. However, it is not a big enough step.

The constant collaboration that has come to characterize the relationship between Penn’s pro-
Palestinian and pro-Israeli groups has not persisted during this crisis. There are no reported plans for leaders of the pro-Israeli groups and pro-Palestinian groups to sit down. There are no reported plans for the two sides to put up a united front during this time of strife and hardship. There are no reported plans for the two sides to stand together when the tough has gotten the toughest.

This lack of discourse is out of the ordinary. For the last three years, both coalitions have worked hard to thicken the olive branch between them by engaging in constructive dialogue, co-sponsoring events and partaking in a number of other trailblazing initiatives.

I understand that the present situation in Gaza is polarizing to an unparalleled degree. The consequences of the events that transpired this past week have, understandably, taken personal tolls on many students and faculty here at Penn.

However, there are a few supreme points on which both sides agree: neither is happy with the present circumstances, neither wants to see the safety of innocent civilians jeopardized and neither wants to see friends, family and countrymen in danger.

In this time of great anxiety and vulnerability, we need the two coalitions to come together more than ever. As the hurting campus community that we are, we look to leadership from both sides of the aisle to unite us under the awnings of sympathy and condemnation of violence.

In the coming days I personally hope to see a sign of greater strength — a mutual move towards the middle of Locust Walk — to support the vast majority of Palestinians and Israelis. Those who, despite their nationality, religion or political bias, are simply praying for peace.

Zachary Levine is a College sophomore and Co-President of Dorm Room Diplomacy. His email address is z.s.levine@gmail.com.