The Penn community is mourning the loss of Charles “Larry” Moses, program coordinator for the Office of Student Affairs/Fraternity Sorority Life.

Moses died Sunday evening following a prolonged battle with cardiac health issues. He was 60.

Moses is survived by a brother and sister, Dyck and Ann, and a stepdaughter, Jasmine.

OFSA Director Scott Reikofski informed the Greek community of Moses’ death in an email late Sunday night.

According to Reikofski, Moses suffered a heart attack in March and, while he attempted to recover through various forms of physical therapy, “was never really able to get over it.”

Soon after the heart attack, Moses was moved to Park Pleasant Nursing Home in Philadelphia. Recently, Reikofski said, Moses and his care team decided that he would move into hospice care, but would stop with physical therapy in order to manage his comfort.

Moses stopped working at OFSA following his heart attack, and has been on disability since that time.

Reikofski described Moses as “an incredibly trusted friend and colleague who’s always given everything he’s had to students.”

Moses, who grew up in the Philadelphia area and graduated from Wilmington College in 1972, had worked at Penn for 16 years. Before coming to the University, he was employed at a local residential facility for emotionally-disturbed youth.

As OFSA program coordinator, Moses served as adviser to Penn’s Multicultural Greek Council. He also had oversight over a number of individual chapters on campus and helped to organize Greek Week every year, among other responsibilities.

“He was a person who always had our backs,” said College senior and MGC President Jacqueline Baron, who met Moses during her sophomore year at Penn. “You could call him at just about any time of the day and he’d be willing to help.”

Baron and a number of other students visited Moses in the nursing home last week, she said.

OFSA Associate Director Stacy Kraus added that Moses “really lived what ‘fraternity’ is all about.”

“He was certainly known for his bark,” Reikofski said. “He was a no-nonsense kind of guy, but he was also always the first in line to step into a student’s corner.”

Reikofski and other leaders of Penn’s Greek community are currently working on planning a memorial service for Moses on campus. While details of the service have yet to be finalized, Baron said she hopes it will take place before students leave for fall break.

“Larry made a really strong impression on a lot of people,” Baron said. “There should be a lot of people who are going to want to pay their respects to him.”

Any person wishing to contribute comments or additional information should e-mail Online Managing Editor Rachel Easterbrook at easterbrook@theDP.com.