10282012_frogrohurricanesandy0039
Students pack Fresh grocer in preparation for Hurricane Sandy Credit: Rachel Easterbrook , Rachel Easterbrook

Throughout the day Sunday, students packed food and convenience stores around campus to stock up on food and emergency supplies in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy.

Students will be stuck inside for most of the next two days, following Penn’s announcement earlier Sunday that all classes and University operations have been cancelled.

Evette Junious, store manager at the CVS on 40th and Walnut streets, said CVS received extra shipments of supplies Sunday morning. The store is planning to maintain regular hours for the next few days.

The Fresh Grocer will also be receiving extra shipments of supplies Sunday and Monday in preparation for the storm, according to assistant manager Yari Hyka.

The supermarket, usually open 24 hours a day, will keep its regular store hours as well.

“We will do whatever we can in our hands to keep it open,” Hyka said.

College freshman Shams Haidari was waiting in line in FroGro for almost an hour Sunday.

“I was mildly aware of the fact that there was a hurricane, but I thought that we were far enough north that it wouldn’t have an impact on us,” Haidari said. “But then I saw there was no school and came here, rushed. I was lucky enough to find water … It’s worth staying in line, I think, if you’re worried enough.”

College junior Brian Rotatori said he and his housemates decided to go shopping after seeing the email from the University.

“The email kind of provoked it more and made everything go into motion,” he said. “I was kind of lazy about it yesterday and the day before. It didn’t really hit us.”

“I’m definitely prepared for this,” the Florida-native Rotatori added. “It’ll be some nice house bonding.”

The cancellation will also disrupt many classes — especially ones that had exams scheduled for Monday and Tuesday.

Anthropology professor Harold Dibble, who teaches “Introduction to Archaeology,” postponed his midterm from Monday to Wednesday about 20 minutes before the official University announcement came.

“First, I was worried about the students, even those on campus, getting to the class. The possibility of high winds really concerned me,” he said. “Second, some people [who were away from campus during the weekend] had no way of getting in. I worry that if too many people can’t make it, then we have to arrange times to make up the exam.”

Many students are grateful for the extra few days they will have to study for exams.

College sophomore Joel Olguin is “extremely happy” that his Monday midterm in his Hindi class has been rescheduled. He had friends coming in to visit for homecoming weekend and had “absolutely no time to study.”

Wharton and College junior Chris Chan’s marketing professor pushed his midterm from Tuesday to Thursday, before the official cancellation notification.

“Personally, I’m happy about the extra time. I would have made it happen anyway by studying all day, but now I don’t have to,” Chan said, adding that he has received emails from multiple professors about missed classes and rescheduling.

But while College sophomore Jennifer Yoon was glad that her Monday chemistry midterm was delayed, she said, “Now that I think about it, it’s going to delay my other midterms.”

“I kind of wish classes weren’t cancelled,” Yoon added. “Everything is going to be kind of rushed together.”

Continue to check theDP.com for updates on Hurricane Sandy’s impact on campus.

Staff writers Spencer Small and Lois Lee contributed reporting.