The investigation following an armed robbery on a student which occurred on April 8 has come to a close.

The knife-point robbery, which occurred at 42nd and Locust streets, prompted the Division of Public Safety to issue a UPennAlert late that night. The alert indicated the incident occurred at 42nd and Spruce streets, but upon further investigation, it was determined to have occurred on Locust Street.

The suspect, 19-year-old Quinzel Smith, was arrested by Penn Police officers on April 10. Smith was apprehended for assaulting a student and robbing his iPhone at knife point, according to DPS.

Smith’s arrest reflects a collaboration between the Philadelphia Police Department, town watch and Penn Police officers, detectives and PennComm dispatchers, Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said.

A day before the incident, Philadelphia Police officers were alerted by a town watch group in Southwest Philadelphia about a male in the 900 Block of 49th Street who was acting suspiciously. Smith was seen following people and looking into cars in that area.

Police stopped him but released him after investigation.

On the day of the robbery, Philadelphia Police officers working in the area of 40th and Walnut streets observed Smith following people throughout the area. They continued to observe him until he left.

After the robbery was committed, officers received a radio call describing the individual whose appearance matched Smith.

He was arrested when Penn Police responded to a radio broadcast of a male fitting Smith’s description who had been seen in the area of 48th and Locust streets. Officers arrested Smith, who was still in possession of the stolen iPhone.

Rush said, “The perpetrator definitely intended to rob someone else that day.”

Related

DPS, Philadelphia Police continue to investigate robbery at 42nd, Spruce

Penn student robbed at knife-point at 42nd and Spruce