School of Design professor and renowned architect James Timberlake, who graduated from the PennDesign in 1977, was nominated by President Barack Obama this month for a seat on the National Institute of Building Science Board of Directors.

Timberlake, if appointed, will join the 21-member board that tackles potential issues facing the construction of safe, affordable housing and facilities in the United States. The group also supports advances in technology and sustainability practices that would improve the performance of buildings around the country.

“These men and women have demonstrated knowledge and dedication throughout their careers. I am grateful they have chosen to take on these important roles, and I look forward to working with them in the months and years to come,” Obama said in a White House statement of his nominations.

Timberlake, along with 1976 PennDesign graduate Stephen Kieran, founded the award-winning architecture firm KieranTimberlake in 1984. The firm, which designed Penn’s Levine Hall, is based in Philadelphia and committed to sustainable designs, in-depth research and education.

KieranTimberlake is known to tailor design to the actual activities that would take place in the building, such as incorporating design elements suited to teaching in schools.

The firm has built many academic buildings across the country, including ones at Middlebury College and Yale University.

Timberlake has co-authored five books and has taught at the universities of Michigan, Washington, Texas at Austin and Yale and Princeton universities.