Since the 1980s, Penn has been at the forefront of research into gene therapy, which treats diseases by inserting genes into cells to replace defective ones.

Unfortunately, being the leader in such a novel scientific field means that there is the possibility for mistakes. The tragic death of 18-year-old Jesse Gelsinger during a procedure at Penn in 1999 led to a major lawsuit and the disbanding of Penn’s Institute for Human Gene Therapy. It also raised strong concerns about the future of gene-therapy treatments.

But the University and its researchers have done a superb job of persevering after their initial mistakes and addressing major safety concerns.

Today, they are developing safer and more effective ways to deliver genes to specific cells, significantly advancing the technology of the treatment. For example, a revolutionary Penn study recently used gene therapy as a possible mechanism for treating HIV.

Penn’s gene-therapy program has come a long way since its inception more than 20 years ago and forged the path for many innovative breakthroughs. We applaud the advances it has made since its early setbacks and eagerly await the progress it will make in the future.

What are your thoughts on the progression of Penn's gene-therapy program? Let us know in the comments below.