Penn’s use of coal energy has hurt College sophomore Pallavi Podapati’s hometown so much that the area has become “a land of sacrifice,” she said.

This accusation was only one of many made against Penn during a teach-in — an educational forum on controversial issues — held on the Locust Walk Compass on Tuesday afternoon. Titled “WTF, Penn?,” the event was organized by Penn Activists Coming Together and featured a group of speakers who discussed the school’s stance on issues that have moral implications for the outside community.

Some of the speakers shared personal experiences with the University’s policies. Podapati, for instance, said that Pennsylvania draws 48 percent of its energy from coal mines in her area of the Appalachians. The energy provider for the 19104 zipcode, PECO, buys the coal from companies engaged in mountain top removal — polluting it to the extent that many children suffer from blue baby syndrome and brain cancer.

School of Social Policy and Practice lecturer Walter Palmer told the audience of the area between 32nd and 40th streets that used to be part of a neighborhood known as Black Bottom. Originally the home of many black farmers, the University expanded into the area in the 1950s and 1960s, displacing much of the population.

Palmer, who grew up in Black Bottom, said there was outrage over the expansion that manifested itself in what he described as “guerrilla warfare” between inhabitants and the University.

“Universities are supposed to heighten your consciousness,” Palmer said. “All your life, you’re being nurtured and cared for when you should be learning to be nurturing and caring.”

Another set of speakers talked about the University’s treatment of its own workers. Wharton junior Max Cohen spoke on behalf of a dining hall worker who wished to remain anonymous for fear of losing his job. The worker, according to Cohen, must support six children and his wife on a yearly salary of $14,000 and is only allowed one sick day every two months despite having a documented back problem.

“WTF, Penn?” received a positive response from its audience.

College senior Ben Grinberg found the teach-in to be informative and was upset that more people didn’t show up.

College senior Allison Carrol Goldman, on the other hand, was impressed by how many people came and stayed.

West Philadelphia resident Nathaniel Miller was among them. “It’s really empowering to hear how all these issues intersect,” he said.

Note: This article was updated from its original version to reflect that the state draws 42 percent of its energy from coal, rather than the University drawing 52 percent of its energy from coal.