03182009_softball_stjoseph074
The Quakers lost 1-4 to the St. Joseph Hawks at Warren Field on Wednesday, March 18, 2009. Penn's only run was scored early in the game, while the Hawks continued to score through the end of the game. Alisha Prystowsky Credit: Michael Chien

While many were relaxing on the beach during spring break, the softball team was hard at work as they began their season in their spring training home of Kissimmee, Fla.

Second baseman Justine Payne, a junior co-captain, was excited to be playing live games again.

“Playing live is so much better,” she said. “With a spring sport, you’re in preseason mode for the majority of the year … It can be pretty monotonous.”

Following a second-place finish in the Ivy League South Division last year, the Quakers have high expectations coming into this season. By compiling five wins in their first eight games in Florida, they are off to a good start and heading home with a winning record.

After losing their opener to Eastern Kentucky, the Red and Blue responded with a 7-4 win over Bryant later that same day.

In her first college game, freshman Mikenzie Voves pitched five solid innings in relief, allowing only one earned run.

“That was probably the greatest feeling ever,” Voves said of her first career victory. “It was very exciting not only to pitch in my first game but to get a win in my first appearance.”

Voves earned two additional winning decisions later in the week. Against Sacred Heart, she threw a complete game gem in an 11-2 victory.

“It was good to know that [coach Leslie King] had the confidence for me to pitch the whole game,” Voves remarked, “especially being the only freshman pitcher on the team.”

Senior co-captain and catcher Alisha Prystowsky was very impressed with the young hurler.

“She definitely showed confidence on the mound, which is impressive for a young pitcher,” Prystowsky said. “When she got in a jam, she buckled down and worked out of it.”

But Voves was not the only impressive freshman. Third baseman Kayla Dahlerbruch was named the season’s first Ivy Rookie of the Week. She went 4-for-6 in her first two games, knocking in four runs.

“We have some really good freshmen who are going to make an immediate impact,” Payne said.

That is good news for the Quakers, as this year’s young team features six freshmen and nine sophomores.

Playing in doubleheaders in each of their first three days in Florida, the team won all but their opening game. They hit a speed bump, however, in their final two matchups.

After two days of rest — one scheduled off-day and another the result of rain — they were blown out in both ends of the doubleheader.

Payne admitted that they “came out flat after two days without playing.” She was satisfied with her team’s performance “until the last day.”

The team must put those two bad losses behind them as they prepare for their next game Wednesday afternoon against St. Joseph’s at Warren Field.

“The biggest part is going to be coming back off a bad day,” Prystowsky said. “We have to be able to turn it around.”

Payne is not worried. She has confidence in her team and has high expectations for this season.

“We have a very talented squad ­— I’m pumped.”