On Monday, a three-month administrative warning barring Phi Kappa Sigma, or “Skulls,” brothers from fraternity activities was lifted.

Skulls can now “resume normal chapter functions, including having official chapter and holding brotherhood events,” Jonathan Monfred, College sophomore and incoming Skulls president, said.

However, the fraternity remains “officially on probation with specific sanctions, as put in place by the national Phi Kappa Sigma organization,” Office of Student Affairs/Fraternity Sorority Life Director Scott Reikofski wrote in an email.

Skulls’ fraternity activities were suspended by the University in January following the death of Matthew Crozier, a John Carroll University student. Crozier suffered fatal head injuries after a fall at Skulls’ chapter house during a New Year’s Eve party.

The lift was made after an extensive membership review by the Phi Kappa Sigma International Fraternity.

“The University and the OSA/FSL have taken our investigation of this tragic incident very seriously,” Reikofski wrote. “We have collaborated closely with the Phi Kappa Sigma national fraternity organization as it determined and implemented appropriate responses.”

Skulls was unable to participate in spring rush this year as a result of the warning and does not have a pledge class for spring 2011. Next fall, Skulls plans to target upperclassmen who chose not to join other fraternities in favor of Skulls, Monfred said.

“We’re going to start making connections with people who would be eligible to join in hopes of bringing a fall class next year,” Max Holz, Wharton junior and outgoing Skulls president, said.

While Skulls has a “big recovery” to undertake, Interfraternity Council President and Wharton junior Harris Heyer said he has “no doubt that they will be able to do it.”

“They have a solid house, a lot of history, a rich heritage — I don’t think that they will fall by the wayside with membership,” he added.

The absence of a pledge class this year will also mean that fewer members may live in the Skulls chapter house — located at 3539 Locust Walk — since the fraternity may only house active brothers.

Monfred estimates six to eight members will live in the house, a decrease from the average of 25 brothers that lived in the house in the past.

“A lot of [prospective members] decided not to pledge and I would encourage them to keep in touch with us about rush in the fall,” Monfred said.

College senior and Skulls member Matt Amalfitano said lifting the administrative warning “is a positive step for all those involved.”

“We’re all pleased to have such strong advocates within the University administration,” Amalfitano, who is also president of the Undergraduate Assembly, said. “We’re privileged to have such a robust student life on campus and this made the process of coping with the tragedy that much easier.”

“The warning being lifted symbolizes the fact that we are going to continue, going to rebuild and become an even stronger chapter and brotherhood than before,” Monfred said.

Note: This article and its headline were updated from their original versions to reflect the fact that Skulls is still on probation.