Presidential Endorsement | Tyler Ernst offers an impressive breadth of knowledge and ideas

Listening to Wharton and Engineering junior Tyler Ernst speak for just a few minutes makes it abundantly clear how well-versed he is in all things related to student government. A veteran of the Undergraduate Assembly, Ernst knows its ins, outs and intricacies.

His opponent, College junior Cornelius Range, prides himself on being an outsider. But what Range calls having a fresh perspective is perhaps better described — in this case — as being less knowledgeable about the rules of the UA and of the policies of Penn.

His goal of making the UA a more democratic body is a noble one, but the lone major proposal he advances to achieve that aim is ill-conceived and doomed to ineffectiveness. And his refusal to also run for a UA representative position shows a lack of commitment to his cause.

Range’s platform is high-minded and lacks practically actionable ideas. In contrast, Ernst — who has accomplished much in the past — has specific goals that he can implement in the immediate future.

In the race for UA president, the choice is clear. When compared to Range, Ernst is at a “Hole Nutha Level.”

Vice Presidential Endorsement | Dan Bernick’s enthusiasm and original point of view complement Ernst

College freshman Dan Bernick won us over with the sheer excitement he showed during his campaign. We believe that his attitude and the initiative he’s shown signify that he will make a great UA vice president.

One of his opponents is Range’s running mate, College junior Adam Hamilton, who seeks to change the status quo but is less informed than the other candidates of the University’s existing state of affairs. In stark contrast to Hamilton, Bernick impressed us with how well-prepared he was and how many student organizations he had contacted to learn the needs of Penn students.

There is no doubt that Wharton junior Faye Cheng, Bernick’s other opponent, would also make a great UA vice president. She has an incredibly strong work ethic and has achieved significant accomplishments during her tenure on the UA.

However, while students are urged to view Cheng as a complement to Ernst, the two are very similar in the experiences and ideas they offer.

Though Bernick may be inexperienced, one of his biggest assets is his distance from the inner circle of the UA. Ernst will already provide the perspective of a UA veteran. Bernick can provide a fresh way of thinking that will round out the skills of the UA’s top leaders.