09212007_seasdeanglandt01
Dean Glandt of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences Credit: Lionel Nicolau

School of Engineering and Applied Science Dean Eduardo Glandt has agreed to extend his term at the University through June 30, 2015.

The news was announced Thursday by Penn President Amy Gutmann and Provost Vince Price.

Glandt — who has been dean of the Engineering School since 1999 — is the Robert D. Bent professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering. His extension comes after consultations with many University leaders, including the SEAS Faculty Council, deans of other schools and the Faculty Senate.

Gutmann expressed confidence in Glandt’s work and innovation in the Engineering School, calling him a “trailblazing leader.”

During his term as dean of the Engineering School, Glandt has overseen fundraising to modernize Engineering School buildings, including Skirkanich Hall, Levine Hall and the new Krishna P. Singh Center for Nanotechnology, which broke ground on Thursday.

“Eduardo Glandt has been an extraordinarily successful and dynamic Dean across every measure,” Price wrote in an e-mail. “We are all fortunate that he has agreed to extend his term as Dean and continue to advance his ambitious goals.”

Research funding for the Engineering School has more than doubled during Glandt’s term as dean. Additionally, the size of the Engineering faculty has increased by almost 17 percent during his term.

By remaining as dean of the Engineering School until 2015, Glandt will be able to oversee its participation in the University’s Making History campaign, Gutmann added.