The mental health of college students has lately become a cause for concern. A recent study found that freshman stress has reached record levels nationwide. Here at Penn, more than 13 percent of all students have sought help at Counseling and Psychological Services.

The number of students receiving direct service at CAPS has increased by 15 percent from 2008 to 2010. Last year, that number reached 3,199. Yet the number of clinicians has remained stagnant since 2008, thanks to a spending freeze that will last until July. Currently, CAPS employs the equivalent of 23 full-time clinicians to serve the entire student body.

Because the center is understaffed, students are forced to wait up to four weeks to schedule an initial appointment during the busiest months. And one-fifth of those who visit CAPS are then referred to an outside private practice.

It is clear that CAPS is ill-equipped to handle students’ mental health needs. CAPS Director Bill Alexander has even said that its mission is to be “an academic support center,” not “a mental health clinic.”

But we believe that is exactly what Penn needs. The University must restructure CAPS or start from scratch to create a dedicated mental health center staffed with enough certified professionals to provide students with the help they need.

The administration must make students’ mental health a priority. CAPS is currently not enough.

What do you think of the ability of CAPS to handle students' mental health needs? Send us a letter to the editor: letters@theDP.com.