12122010_dancing_professors029
PLBD's 2010 Dancing with the Professors Credit: Michael Chien

Sequins, sparkles, samba and professors — Sunday night’s second annual Dancing With the Professors featured four Penn faculty members in a heated dance-off in Houston Hall. Lynsey Brandt, a Penn School of Medicine professor dancing with College sophomore Dan Ramos, came in first place.

The event was modeled after ABC’s hit series Dancing With the Stars. It was sponsored by Penn Latin and Ballroom Dance, which used the event to fundraise for their club.

Brandt, Marketing professor David Reibstein, Anthropology professor Peggy Sanday and Computer and Information Science professor Susan Davidson were each paired with a PLBD team member at the beginning of the semester to learn a ballroom dance routine in the genre of their choice.

Though there were three judges, the winner was determined by an audience vote. The audience of about 150 — including family members and friends of participants — submitted slips of paper with their choices to the coordinators.

“Usually in a show, the winner isn’t based on best technical performance, but rather on the best showcase and stage presence,” PLBD member-at-large Annie Liu, an Engineering junior, said.

This was Brandt’s first time dancing in public. “I was super scared that I would forget the steps,” she said, adding that she thought it was a great opportunity to learn a new style of dance and push the limits of her comfort zone.

Ramos, a first-time choreographer, said he was nervous at the beginning but enjoyed Brandt’s dedication.

Davidson was the runner up, with Reibstein in third place and Sanday in fourth.

Prizes, which included gift cards to local sponsors Kiwi, Sang Kee Noodle House and Rave Motion Pictures, were awarded to all four professors.

The event also included several guest performances by PLBD members and other professors, including Nursing professor Terri Lipman, last year’s winner.

“The best part for me was seeing my mom perform,” said Lipman’s son Jeff Lipman, a College senior who attended the event. “I also really enjoyed seeing the confidence of the professors and seeing them have fun. It was great seeing them in a social setting with students.”

“I love dancing now,” Brandt said. “I’m making [Dan] come out and salsa with me next week.”