09262007_phillycarshare005
College senior Adrienne Juarascio enjoys an afternoon joy-ride in a Philly Car Share Mazda Miata Convertible Credit: Brian Shmerling

Next semester, Penn is investing in a new variety of tea at the Morris Arboretum — compost tea.

The organic “tea” is a liquid compost extract that will serve as an alternative to chemical fertilizers. This innovation and six other projects have been approved for next spring.

Established in 2009, the Green Fund — Penn’s energy-reduction fund — awards a maximum of $50,000 each to innovative sustainability projects each semester.

This spring, Penn Parking Services will partner with PhillyCarShare to install two charging stations around campus for electric vehicles. Each station may accommodate two cars at the same time. It is another step in “promoting Penn’s sustainable transit initiative,” Business Services spokeswoman Barbara Lea-Kruger said.

Under the partnership, PhillyCarShare will purchase electric cars from out-of-state dealers. Electric cars are currently not sold in Pennsylvania, and the project aims to “stimulate interest across the city,” said Business Services Sustainability Director Laurie Cousart.

In addition, the project will “encourage sustainable choices and lifelong habits,” said Dan Garofalo, Penn’s environmental sustainability coordinator.

The Penn Women’s Center also plans to expand its efforts to educate the community about sustainability through a new eco-friendly kitchen.

The kitchen, which will be subsidized by the Green Fund, will use locally sourced, recycled materials and low-energy appliances, according to Garofalo.

Projects will include more efficient stove tops, a system to irrigate the garden with sink water and a solar-powered water heating system. The Women’s Center is also looking to harness rainwater for its toilets.

Furthermore, it will partner with Eco-reps to provide training and signs to advertise the kitchen’s new sustainable features. According to Garofalo, the Green Fund committee hopes that students will recall the Women’s Center kitchen when they remodel their own in the future.

“When evaluating a project, we ask, ‘is this educational, is this really innovative, is this replicable?’” said Garofalo. “We want to be setting a new routine or practice that people can copy.”