Yesterday was a disappointing day on Capitol Hill, with the Senate failing to pass two measures that Penn students have shown support for.

Senate Democrats put the DREAM Act — which would establish a path to citizenship for undocumented students — on hold for lack of support. They also unsuccessfully forced a vote on a major military policy bill that included the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” which would allow openly gay men and women to serve in the military. It gives at least some comfort to know that both of Pennsylvania’s senators supported these bills.

Student activists are undoubtedly dismayed by yesterday’s events — and they have a legitimate right to be saddened. The Penn community has fought hard for these causes. President Amy Gutmann publicly confirmed the University’s support for the DREAM Act earlier this year. The Undergraduate Assembly voted last month to send letters to elected officials in support of the spirit of bill.

But it’s not too late to make a difference. It is likely that the Senate Democrats will bring the DREAM Act to a vote later this month. They may also introduce the repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell” as a stand-alone bill instead of an amendment.

Students who support the measures but haven’t yet been politically involved can still join the effort by calling senators of other states and urging them to support both of these causes. There is still time to make these changes happen before this session of the Senate draws to a close.

What do you think of the failure of the Senate to pass these bills? E-mail us a letter to the editor at letters@theDP.com.