10272010_defiance261
The story behind the movie defiance Credit: Alex Neier

“My dad would have loved the movie,” Zvi Bielski said of his late father Zus Bielski, who is played by Liev Schreiber in the 2008 film Defiance. “And I can’t speak for my uncle [Tuvia], but I’m sure he would have gotten a good laugh about being played by James Bond,” he added, referring to Daniel Craig's portrayal.

Bielski, who was invited by Chabad leader Rabbi Levi Haskelevich, addressed students Tuesday evening in Houston Hall in an event co-sponsored by SPEC Connaissance, the Cinema Studies Department, the Center for Programs in Contemporary Writing, the History Department and the Lubavitch House at Penn.

Bielski wanted to convey that “real heroes are flawed in many ways,” a message he hopes will show students that anybody has the power to make a difference.

While Bielski admitted that the film, directed by Edward Zwick, did slightly embellish and alter some aspects of the story, he said he loved the film and thought it “did a wonderful job capturing the essence of the story.”

“They told the story the best they could within two hours and I thought it came out beautifully,” Bielski said.

For example, Bielski said the movie greatly embellished the conflict between brothers Tuvia and Zus.

According to Bielski, Zus’ initial goal was to fight Nazis as a guerilla group while Tuvia wanted to save as many Jews as possible, but the conflict was more of a “lively discussion.”

“The conflict really did happen, but not to the degree you see in the movie,” Bielski said.

Nevertheless, Bielski said he approves of Zwick's telling of the story since Bielski understands that conflicts make the movie more appealing and helped the story reach a larger audience.

Another focus of Bielski’s address was his influence over the film.

The idea for the film began in 1995 when The New York Times printed his father’s obituary, which stirred up great interest in Hollywood.

Bielski also influenced some scenes in the movie itself, including his favorite scene, which depicts his uncle Asael­— who died during the war — marrying his wife while Zus stands on guard.

With this scene, Bielski said he wanted to make sure the movie accurately depicted how members of the brigade were constantly fighting, even while life in the camp went on.

While the event did not have a large turnout, it was what Rabbi Levi and Lubavitch House Education Chairman and College sophomore Avery Rosin expected.

Despite the small crowd, many students who attended said they enjoyed the event, especially because of Bielski’s humor, which he wanted students to compare to the attitudes of his father and uncle as life went on in the forest during the war.