10182009_mwsoccervsdartmouth042
Men's + Women's Varsity Soccer v. Dartmouth 23 Theresa Yankovich MF Credit: Michelle Bigony

On a rainy, 40-degree Saturday night, the Penn women’s soccer team battled its way through its first overtime game of the 2010 season against host Dartmouth.

But despite two extra periods, the Quakers couldn’t score, and were forced to settle for their first draw of the season, 0-0.

While Penn entered the game coming off its fifth shutout victory, Dartmouth (3-7-1, 1-2-1 Ivy) was riding a three-game losing streak, including a loss to Ivy doormat Yale.

The poor weather conditions prevented Penn (6-6-1, 2-1-1 Ivy) from dictating the tempo of the game. Consequently, the Red and Blue missed an opportunity to move up in the conference standings, where it currently sits in third place.

“The conditions weren’t great,” coach Darren Ambrose said. “We couldn’t play the game how we wanted to play it.”

He also said that each team had one strong scoring opportunity but that both goalies “just made really good saves.”

Junior Theresa Yankovich led the Quakers with two of their five shots on goal while freshmen Kerry Scalora, who leads the team in goals this season, had one attempt.

As a bright light in an otherwise dull game, junior goalkeeper Caroline Williams continued her recently strong performance with three saves, including a crucial one in the overtime frame.

Williams has only allowed three goals in the last five games against 45 shots.

With the tie, the Quakers now stand alone in third place in the Ivy standings but will attempt to improve next Saturday against Yale.