teaser
Shane Victorino was spotted by Penn golfers Isabel Han, Elizabeth Kresock, Tiffany Cheung and Rui at the Philadelphia Cricket Club two weeks ago. Coach Mark Anderson gave Victorino some tips and the women teed off with the center fielder.

Tonight’s Game 5 of the National League Championship Series is a must-win for the Phillies if they want to stay alive in their World Series quest.

But for center fielder Shane Victorino, it’s just like any other game.

At least, that’s what he told the Penn women’s golf team two weeks ago.

The day after Philadelphia opened the playoffs with a commanding 4-0 victory against the Cincinnati Reds, “The Flyin’ Hawaiian” decided to unwind with a round of golf.

And four members of the Penn women’s golf team were there to see how one of baseball’s most explosive players switches his stance and hits the links.

Junior Tiffany Cheung, sophomores Elizabeth Kresock and Isabel Han and freshman Rui Li were practicing at the Philadelphia Cricket Club in Flourtown, Pa., when their coach, Mark Anderson, spotted Victorino golfing with friends.

“My coach went up to [Victorino] and was like, ‘Can I get a picture with you?’” Han said.

And after the night that the Phillies had just experienced at Citizens Bank Park — in which Roy Halladay pitched a no-hitter and Victorino had two runs batted in — it’s no wonder he obliged.

Victorino even took it a few steps further. After posing for a few pictures and making some jokes, the center fielder watched the girls tee off.

“I was really nervous when he was watching us tee off,” Kresock said.

In order to divert his attention, Kresock asked Victorino if he was nervous during the playoffs.

His response? It’s just like any other game.

So he encouraged the golfers to imagine they were taking just any other swing — as if they weren’t playing in front of a Major League Baseball all-star.

And though Kresock claims that the girls “held our own,” according to Han, “we all bombed our drives.”

Either way, the foursome proved to Victorino why Penn is the reigning Ivy champion.

“He was really impressed with how well the girls hit the ball,” Anderson said. “However they did, he was impressed with their swings.”

After the girls teed off, it was time for Victorino’s group to begin their round.

Victorino’s foursome played 18 holes in front of the Quakers, and the center fielder enlisted some help from Boston native Anderson ­— a “Red Sox fan first and a Phillies fan second” — along the way.

Since the Wailuku, Hawaii native is accustomed to lifting his left leg on his baseball swing, he struggled to keep it down on the tee box and the fairway.

After a few pointers from the Penn coach, Victorino impressed the team.

“His golf swing is good,” Kresock said. “And he hits the ball really far.”

Then on the 18th hole, Victorino needed some additional tips.

“He had a tough shot from a tough lie and asked me if I could help him out, which was cool,” Anderson said. “He hit the shot over the water, which was good.”

With his golf prowess demonstrated, Victorino has now turned his attention toward reconciling the Phillies’ 3-1 deficit to the San Francisco Giants. The Quakers, meanwhile, are preparing for their final tournament of the fall — the Spider Invitational on Nov. 1 and 2.