Before flu season kicks into full gear, Penn’s Student Health Service will be offering three flu vaccine clinics on campus in October.

Last year was the first time SHS provided mass immunization clinics, offering free vaccines subsidized by the federal government due to the H1N1, or swine flu, outbreak. However, this year’s vaccine will cost $25 and will target three strains of influenza.

“Each year, scientists get together and try to predict which strains of flu will circulate and cause disease,” Public Health Section Manager Sharon McMullen said. “They choose the three most likely candidates and put those three strains into the vaccine for the coming year.”

This year’s strains include H1N1, H3N2 and a B strain. This season, the first case of influenza in the state — an H3N2 strain — was confirmed early last week by the Pennsylvania Department of Health, according to McMullen.

The Penn Student Insurance Plan covers the cost of the vaccine, but students with alternative insurance plans can bursar the cost.

According to McMullen, last year’s clinics were “very well received.” Providing them months before the worst of flu season, she said, “offers preventative measures well in advance of transmission.”

The clinics will take place Oct. 14 in the ARCH building, Oct. 20 in the lobby of Claire Fagin Hall in the School of Nursing and Oct. 27 at Hoover Lounge in Vance Hall, at 3733 Spruce St.