The TD Bank branch at 3735 Walnut St. was robbed shortly after 9 a.m. Wednesday, according to the Division of Public Safety.

DPS spokeswoman Stef Cella said the suspect approached a teller with a note demanding money but did not display a weapon.

After receiving cash and coins from the teller, the suspect then exited the bank heading east on Walnut Street.

According to Cella, no Penn students were present, and no one was injured.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush said she could not say what was on the demand note or how much money was stolen, but she emphasized that there was no threat made to the bank teller.

She described the suspect in the robbery as a six-foot-two-inch, 230-pound black male in his late 20s to early 30s. The suspect was also described as having a “scraggly beard” and wearing a black shirt, dark pants and a tan bucket hat with a Penn State University logo.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation's Bank Robbery Task Force has taken over the investigation, according to Rush, who added that the FBI cross-checks crimes nationwide to see if any previous cases match the description of Wednesday’s suspect.

Rush said that though Penn Police is always vigilantly patrolling the area, its presence in and around campus banks will be enhanced in response to Wednesday’s incident.

“We are always at a heightened state of patrol. However, we will do a little more for [TD Bank] and all other banks on campus,” she said.

The bank reopened Wednesday afternoon. TD Bank spokesman James Hernandez confirmed that the bank was robbed but declined to give any additional information.

All banks in the U.S. must be insured by the FDIC, meaning deposits in most types of accounts are insured up to $250,000.