While many student groups are looking to the Student Activities Council for next year’s funding, the Wharton Council provides unique benefits for clubs associated with the school.

Although clubs can be recognized by both SAC and WC, one of the most significant benefits is the support system that becomes available to the 49 WC clubs, according to the WC’s Recognition Committee Chairwoman Eliana Ritts, a Wharton sophomore.

The Wharton Council Clubs Committee acts as a help desk for clubs who have questions about, for example, marketing, Ritts said.

The clubs can also participate in the council’s Undergraduate Leadership Forum, which allows student leaders to network and get each other’s input on issues they are facing.

Other benefits associated with WC membership include branding, funding and banking with G95, Wharton’s undergraduate administrative office.

The connection with G95 “makes everything more official,” according to Wharton sophomore and Wharton Women Vice President of University Relations Hillary Heimbach.

Andrew Brodsky, Wharton junior and president of the business fraternity Delta Sigma Pi, said his experiences with WC have been positive.

“There is synergy — administrators give us advice,” he said. “I think it’s pretty collaborative.”

Not all clubs have had such positive experiences, however. Wharton Alliance President Justin Warner, an Engineering and Wharton sophomore, said there is a lot of red tape.

Even if a group is pre-approved to receive funding, the red tape is “almost a deterrent because you don’t want to use it,” he said about the reimbursement process. “You don’t know if you will get that money back.”

Warner added that he still thinks it is worth it to be WC recognized.

“Why not get recognized?” he said. “It’s the normal thing to do to build a presence — the necessary step you have to take to get recognition for your club.”

Heimbach agreed, saying, “You can’t be a club in Wharton and not be associated with Wharton.”

In terms of whether SAC or WC recognition would be more beneficial, College junior and SAC Chairwoman Ali Huberlie said it depends on what kind of events the club plans on holding.

“Wharton Council will sponsor food, which SAC doesn’t pay for,” she said. “So for a club planning networking events with food, there is no point being SAC recognized because we’re not going to fund your main cost.”

Ritts agreed that the focus of the club should determine which recognition it seeks.

“For someone who is more interested in emerging markets or accounting or finance, the Wharton Council help desk will be more tailored to that club’s needs,” she said.