For the first time ever, members of Penn’s LGBT community reached out to LGBT students admitted to the class of 2014.

The initiative is a collaboration between the Admissions Office and the Lambda Alliance, members of which contacted accepted students who have self-identified as LGBT.

Dean of Admissions Eric Furda said approximately 30 letters were sent out with the aim of providing an insight into Penn’s strong and supportive LGBT community and resources.

Director of the LGBT Center Bob Schoenberg said there were three categories of applicants: those who identified as LGBT, “strong allies” of LGBT people and those who are children of LGBT parents. Of the 26,938 total applicants this year, more than 200 were tagged and 45 were offered admission.

While the University has received limited feedback because the project is in its first year, Furda said reactions have been “really positive. We’ll be looking at the types of interactions and the impact on our yield.”

He added that the letters are likely to be sent out again next year.

In order to create a more personal form of outreach, current Penn LGBT students were paired with admitted self-identified students based on mutual interests.

“It provides an interaction on something very specific,” Furda said of the letters.

“I know that these efforts made a lot of difference to several applicants,” Schoenberg said.

He explained that the University will be able to improve the system based on an assessment that will take place after the end of this admissions cycle.

“I am very proud that Penn is once again in the forefront in valuing and serving the LGBT community,” Schoenberg said.

Lambda Alliance Chairman Tyler Ernst, an Engineering and Wharton sophomore, said Lambda is pleased with the outcome, calling it “a good effort for a first try.”

While not everyone responded, Ernst said Lambda is planning to send out a second wave of letters to these students before the May 1 commitment deadline approaches.

Of his own experience, Ernst said one student in particular was so excited to be contacted that the two set up lunch and the admitted student has now confirmed that he will be matriculating at Penn in the fall.

Looking ahead to next year, Ernst said the LGBT community has “hit the ground running” and hopes to start reaching out to admitted students earlier now that they have already tried out the system and have received positive anecdotal feedback.

Lambda Vice Chairwoman for Communications Julia Moon, a Nursing junior, was responsible for creating a draft of the letter and for the process of pairing current students with admitted applicants.

“While it was informal, it was welcoming and personally written by each current student,” she wrote in an e-mail.

Moon described the initiative as “evidence of Penn’s true commitment to equality and non discrimination.”