04242009_photosforkatiesportfoliomaybe0258
Penn Relays took place Kali Strother in event 163, the sprint medley championship of america Credit: Katie Rubin

Penn’s track and field teams traveled to New York City Saturday to compete in the Armory Duals, their last regular meet of the indoor season.

As of yesterday, not all events had been scored, so the Quakers are still unsure of how they finished.

With 15 events officially in the books, the Penn women currently sit in fifth place out of nine competing teams, while with 16 events scored, the Penn men are fifth out of eleven teams.

Men’s coach Charlie Powell does not expect their placement to change by much when the final announcement is made.

The men found success in several events, with notable performances by both upperclassmen and freshmen.

“We have a wonderful, wonderful freshman class,” Powell said. “One of the best we’ve ever had.”

Freshman Tim Carey reached tenth place in Penn’s all-time record list with his 5th place finish in the 400-meters.

In the 60-meter hurdles, freshman Michael Brown finished with a career-best time of 8.27, enough for 5th place. He fell short of the IC4A qualifying standards by two-hundredths of a second.

Junior Jeff Weinstein finished sixth in the mile, with a time of 4:08.69. The finish was a career-best and garnered him eighth place on the university’s all-time list.

The women’s side earned the Quaker’s only first place finish for the day in the 4x400 relay. Senior Jamie Massarelli, junior Kali Strother, as well as sophomores Paige Madison and Renee McDougall made up the quartet, which finished in 3:47.81.

Strother also found success in the 200-meter dash, where she placed third (24.95).

Freshman Leslie Kovach also performed well, finishing second in the 3000-meter run. She crossed the finish line in 9:46.54.

The next competition for both the men and women will be the Heptagonal Indoor Championships at the end of the month.

“It’s just another step in the road,” Coach Powell said. “Some things are starting to look really good, others we got a chance to see where we need to change some things. It’s starting to clarify the picture.”