The Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs of the Government of India awarded a $2 million grant to the University on Thursday to support Penn’s Center for the Advanced Study of India.

“It is tremendous to see the government of India support CASI and our efforts and research in India,” Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences Rebecca Bushnell said.

As of now, she added, Penn is the only American university to have received such a substantial research grant from India’s government.

“It’s a recognition of both the strength of CASI and also Penn’s long tradition in the study of India,” she said.

Shri Gurucharan, the ministry’s joint secretary, said in a press release that Penn was chosen to receive the grant because “it is home to CASI,” the only research center in the U.S. committed to the study of contemporary India.

Bushnell said CASI supports undergraduate research in India, as well as research conducted by visiting scholars, and post-doctoral and graduate students.

“We’re pleased and honored by the grant,” she said. “It’s an important recognition of Penn’s tradition of commitment and future commitment to the study of India.”